Clinical & Rehabilitation Psychology
Rehabilitation psychology is recognized as clinical specialty within the broad areas of psychology and the role of rehabilitation psychologist is conceptualized within the scientist-practitioner model. The trained professionals are expected to help and assist persons suffering from a wide variety of physical, sensory and developmental disabilities to achieve optimal psychological, social and physical functioning and to restore hope and meaning in their families. Whether people are born with their disabilities or acquire them later in life, rehabilitation psychologists help them address their psychological issues, reclaim their sense of belonging and assist them to lead functional, fulfilling and meaningful lives.
The services provided by rehabilitation psychologists include: assessment, psychological counseling and therapies, wellness promotion, stress/conflict management, supportive measures for caregivers, education and consultation to involved community members, such as employers or teachers, and referrals to other specialists when needed. Also, they assist in a broad range of services including program development, service provision, research, education, administration and public policy on empowerment and rights issues.
ST. GREGORIOS - EARLY INTERVENTION & CHILD DEVELOPMENT CENTRE (EI&CDC)
St. Gregorios - Early Intervention & Child Development Centre (EI&CDC) is committed to improve survival outcome through early identification and management of defects at birth, developmental delays including disabilities and assured link to care, support and therapies to meet these challenges.
Developmental impairment occurs in approximately 10% of children and is higher among "at risk" children discharged from the sick newborn care unit; however the actual estimates may be higher.
The idea behind early intervention is to intervene early and to minimize disability. If the disability is already established, then the intervention would focus on enhancement of child development to reach the highest potential possible and on prevention of progression to handicap due to activity limitation.
Psychopathology (Conditions Treated)
- Down Syndrome
- Developmental Delay
- Intellectual Disability
- Attention Deficit Hyper Activity Disorder (ADHD)
- Cerebral Palsy
- Learning Disability
- Conduct Disorder
- Adolescent Issues
- Disorders of Personality and Behavior
- Neurotic, Stress- related and Somatoform Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Psychoactive Substance use Disorders
- Sexual Disorders
Psycho Diagnostics (Psychological Testing)
- Autism Assessments
- Developmental Assessments
- ADHD Assessments
- IQ Assessment (Intelligence Test)
- Learning Disability Assessments
- Personality Tests
- Neuropsychological Tests
- Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) for Autism
- Behavior Therapy
- Cognitive Training/ Retraining
- Remedial Training for Learning Disability (LD)
- Cognitive Behavior Therapy
- Neuro-Bio Feedback Therapy (NFT)
- Progressive Muscular Relaxation and Hypnotherapy
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
Package Programs in Early Intervention & Child Development Centre under guidance from Dept. of Clinical & Rehabilitation Psychology
- Dept. runs a Therapeutic Monthly Package for Autism, Down syndrome, Global Developmental Delay, Intellectual Disability & Cerebral Palsy etc.
- Remedial Training for Learning Disability on Saturdays