Master of Social Work (MSW)
ST. GREGORIOS COLLEGE OF SOCIAL SCIENCE, founded in the year 2005 is one of the renowned educational institutions under St. Gregorios Medical Mission Hospital, Parumala. The college, which is affiliated to M.G University, is imparting post graduate degree in Master of Social Work (MSW) since inception.
Department Of Social Work
The department of Social Work is offering Medical & Psychiatric Specialization and expecting to start few more disciplines in the future. The department at present is having its 13th batch with 21 efficient students. The two year full time Post Graduate Course in Social Work concentrates on professional training leading to Managerial and Organizational competences in Medical and Psychiatric social work, upholding our educational promise by delivering quality education through our personal approach to professional preparation and intellectual exploration.
The students are trained in three important components - Theory, Field Work and Research, to plan and execute an extensive range of social services, social welfare activities, and work in hospital and other industrial establishments and training institutions. The training programme also includes independent study, lectures, seminars, observation visits, rural exposure camp, study tour, orientation visits, group discussions, case studies, role plays and through concurrent and block field work training.
There are a number of promising career opportunities open for these graduates in the areas like: Rural and Urban Community Development, Hospital Social Work, Psychiatric Social Work, Industrial Counseling, Family Counseling, Child Welfare, Administration of NGOs, Corporate Social Responsibility, Human Rights, Environment and Disaster Management, Project Preparation & Evaluation and Field level Research Projects.
Resources And Activities
- The department of social work is having a well sophisticated library with subject related books, and journals.
- The department has well latest PCs for students and has its own computer with internet facility.
- The department has a placement cell for its final year students to facilitate identification of job opportunities and absorption of the students into suitable jobs.
- Aiming to undertake welfare programs of the college and extension activities like debate, games, cultural programs etc., of the department, Gregorian Association of Social Workers (GRASP) was started in the year 2007.
- The department organizes its annual seminar in the month of March under the auspices of GRASP and the theme of the seminar is related to the trend and practices of Social Work.
- Rural Exposure Camp and Study Tour are organized to have various experiences and focused knowledge about various social issues and organizational function.
- The annual day of the department is celebrated in the month of August every year.
- Alumni meeting will be held along with the graduation day. The former students of the institution will gather at the college and share their experiences and valuable suggestion related to the profession in order to widen the perception of students on the Social work trends.
Consolidated Scheme: Semester 1 – IV MSW
Working Hours: 9.00 am to 4.00 pm
Programme at a glance:
- Total No. of Theory Courses: 19 (5 courses per semester) nos.
- Total No. of Field Practicum: 4 (1 field practicum per semester) nos.
- Dissertation: 1 no.
- Comprehensive Viva Voce: 1 no.
- Block placement of 1 month after 4th Semester